Sunday, January 18, 2009

German Wintertriathlon Championships

Wintertriathlon- this is the first time that I watched a Wintertriathlon. It is a pretty new sport and I think Germany has had Championships 9 times now, I think the it was the first time in 2008 in the US. The race was in the Black Forest, in Kniebis. The race organizers had the girls and guys start together because they didn't have that many people at the start. It will probably change over the next few years.


Off course I was cheering for the Germans but also the one girl from the US :-) Renata Bucher (4th at Xterra Worlds) from Switzerland started too and looked like the winner until the German girl passed her during the final lap on the skate skis. I have to be honest: I didn't watch the American girl finish...I was tooo frozen and the storm started blowing away the barriers...poor girl, but I bet she did fine and had fun:-)

It was freezing, but at least there was now snow at first, but half way through it started snowing and me and my family were, with a hand full of other spectators, the only people cheering (at least we stayed as long as we could in the freezing cold)-and we didn't even have anybody we knew in the race!!! Just to support the sport:-) It made me realize that watching an event can be hard work and tiring too!!!

We (here in Rutesheim, 1 hour away from where the race was) barely have any snow left outside (I heard someone say we are supposed to get fresh snow next week), for now I am very excited to run in a snow-free area again and maybe even bike outside (after spending almost every day since mid December on the trainer).

The 70.3 South Africa just finished and I am thinking about doing that race next year. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Can't wait to be in tip top shape and go out and race this year:-) It will be fun!!!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

So, darling! I don't know what you mean, perhaps you need more motivation to train indoors I sense!?!?! Hahahah....you will be back in Flag soon right!??! I am very jealous, only this time of the year I wish I was in AZ!

Winter Tri, huh?? is that ski, bike, run??? Fill me in! Thanks for being a loyal blog reader....:)

Unknown said...

When you coming back to the States Ang?