Monday, April 30, 2012

New coach

Well, it has happened. Nick and I worked well together over the last 1.5 years, but it was time to move on. I am very thankful for all of his advice and all of his time dedicated into making me a better athlete.
Unfortunately there is a point where things have to change. I am really busy with work, classes and training lately and I needed someone who could help me maximize my time. I looked into many different coaches. A big factor for me for picking a coach is the prize. Let's be honest. We spend so many $ on traveling and equipment (OK, mostly traveling and BIKE FEES), there is not much left over of the original "budget". However, coaches need to live as well and put food on their plates.

But, I finally came to the conclusion that a coach is THE most important tool in the equation and I needed to go for it.

But who?

I have a great friend here, Amy Kloner, who is also a professional triathlete, works full time, but most importantly: kicks ass in races. I kept bugging her to tell me her secret. How does she put all of that in one day? And she kept telling me that she has a genius coach. So I investigated. 


I got in touch with Amy's coach Matt Russ. We talked for about an hour, he asked me questions, I asked him questions. After we hung up we investigated each other: he researched my times and performances, I researched his background and experience. What I immediately liked was that he is a very friendly and calm person, but also really knowledgeable!!!

After a few more emails and phone calls it was clear to me that we would be a good fit. His scientific approach to coaching and the fact that he explains everything to me convinced me - there is a purpose for every workout. Every single one. 

My race season will look a little different then it used to. Instead of racing a lot, I will focus on a few races only, but I will be bringing my A game to those:

Florida 70.3
Honu 70.3
Antwerp 70.3
Wiesbaden 70.3

are the main focus. 

I am really excited about this new chapter. If you need any info about Sports Factory coaching, please click on the following link:

1 comment:

Damie said...

super pumped for you, friend!!!!