Monday, April 14, 2014

Off to a fresh start...

I struggled to leave Ft Collins after Christmas...1 more semester had to be done. I thought it would be fun to take my snow shoes and XC skis, but Flagstaff was pretty much winter-less, except for one day (and it melted the next day again). My friend Amber had just won the National Snowshoe title and I was super motivated to go out and try it out...


 It absolutely kicked my butt. She is an animal on those things, I don't know how she can run that fast on these things :-) It was a great workout and I can't wait for more snow shoe snow. 

The semester ended up going by faster then expected and once we hit spring break we started having the "DONE" mentality.
I had to come back to AZ for my capstone in the Emergency room in Show Low, but I came back with scrubs only. 
Good bye Flagstaff, it was nice, but I am so happy to go to Colorado.
 It was nice to get a warm welcome in Colorado with our great friends. We "cruisered" around town and celebrated being reunited (and St Patties day ;-).


 The week went by way too fast. I got a lot of yard work done, a lot of running, no riding or swimming...
 Then I was off to Show Low, AZ. The drive was loooong, but I was lucky and only had 11 days in Show Low. One more time driving through an AZ sand storm:


 I worked the night shift, but had the goal of still running 2 times a day. I would get off work at 6:30 am, run, sleep 8-12, eat, sleep 1-4, run, go to work. It was fantastic. My times got slower with the lack of sleep, so halfway through I decided to leave the Garmin at home :-) Happy running only. 
 I had a fantastic experience in the ER. The high paced environment was exactly what I wanted. I met so many people and it was great to see people get better and even go home after spending time in the ER. 
My shift was done Tuesday morning at 6:30 am and I sat in the car and drove for 11 hrs to Ft Collins. Finally home. 
Since then I have been doing the following:

Enjoy watching JR become a hunter...


 Building a 12 ft by 12 ft organic garden...
Get a job (YAY)...

And sign up for a triathlon...

Yep, training started today. I have 6 weeks to get my butt in shape for the return to triathlon. Today I went swimming. It wasn't petty. The nice thing is that I can take the cruiser and be at Mulberry pool in 1 minute. No excuses. Tomorrow I will join the CSU triathlon team for track practice and on Wednesday I will join the weekly group ride. I will most likely get dropped like a hot potato, but I am excited. 

After taking one year off from swim and bike training (or actually even more), it is fun to look forward to a race. Without limits made it possible for me to race Xterra's and Triathlons that they put on in Northern Colorado and I can't wait. Just pure fun and exhaustion. Since I am starting from scratch, I am totally looking forward to wobbly legs coming out of the water, forgetting where my bike is and how to take off the wetsuit, and simply pure exhaustion during the race. 


No comments: